No flash message
Some of the content and features delivered by this site requires JavaScript to be enabled in your browser
Wednesday 26 June
Internatsupport > Correcting Errors on your Visa

International Student Advice Service

Correcting Errors on your Tier 4 visa

You should check your UK Visa and Immigration letters, Entry Clearance Vignette (sticker on your passport) and Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) card carefully for any errors. The most frequent errors are:

  • Your personal details (names/date and place of birth) are incorrect
  • Incorrect visa expiry date:

NB: The end date of your Tier 4 student visa depends on the length of your course:

    • Your course is 12 months or longer: your visa should expire 4 months after the course end date stated on the CAS
    • Your course is more than 6 months, but less than 12 months: your visa should expire 2 months after the course end date stated on the CAS
    • Your course is less than 6 months: your visa should expire 7 days after the course end date stated on the CAS
    • Pre-sessional English students on a course that is less than 6 months long: your visa should expire 1 month after the course end date stated on the CAS
  • Anglia Ruskin University’s sponsor license number is missing or incorrect
  • The work restrictions (number of hours you can work) is incorrect - for full details on the work entitlements go to our page

Contact us as soon as you notice an error on your visa as there is a limited period of time in which the UVKI will agree to correct the errors.

Correcting errors made outside the UK

There are two processes available depending on whether your visa is a vignette (sticker) on your passport or whether you have collected a BRP card after your arrival in the UK. Your international Student Adviser can assist you with both processes. If you are unable to access our service please follow these steps:

1. Errors on Biometric Residence Permits issued for applications made overseas

  • Check your permit carefully when you receive it.
  • If you find a mistake, you must complete the online form within 10 working days to inform them of the error.  Any later than this and the UKVI may not correct the mistake, or may charge you a fee for the correction.
  • Provide full details: full name, date of birth, nationality, passport number, BRP reference number, and the exact nature of the error on the BRP.
  • Take a copy of both sides of the incorrect BRP for your records.

UKVI will email you to confirm what you need to do next.  If the correction is agreed and you are required to return the BRP to the UKVI, you should send it by Special Delivery from the Post Office. Alternatively if ISAS are carrying out the correction, you need to return the BRP to your adviser when they contact you.
When you received the new BRP card back, you must take it to the iCentre for scanning immediately, as this is a UKVI requirement.

2. Errors on vignettes (sticker on passport) issued for the length of your course

  • You contact us about the potential error on your visa 
  • We will prepare a letter confirming the error which you must sign to give us permission to request the correction on your behalf
  • We send your passport and supporting documents to the Home Office explaining the error
  • If they agree an error was made, they will issue a corrected visa. 
  • Your passport is returned to us and we will update the University records with details of your new visa
  • If the passport is returned to you, you must take the new visa to be scanned at the iCentre immediately, as this is a UKVI requirement.

It is currently taking more than 25 working days to obtain a correction. We advise you do not plan to travel and have completed all tasks for which you require a passport and visa (such as landlord verifications/registering with a doctor/opening a bank account). We have no control on how long the correction process takes.

If you must travel urgently, please inform your International Student Adviser.

Further details can be found on the Home Office website:
Home Office

IMPORTANT: When you receive the new visa back, you must take it to the iCentre for scanning immediately, as this is a UKVI requirement.

Errors on Biometric Residence Permits in the UK

You should check your Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) as soon as you receive it and report any errors to your International Student Adviser.
If there are any other errors that affect the length of the visa and/or entitlements, you will now have to apply for your BRP to be amended through the Administrative Review process.  This includes:

  • Incorrect end date of your visa
  • Incorrect Sponsor Licence Number
  • Incorrect Work Entitlements/Restrictions

You must apply for the Administrative Review within 14 calendar days of receiving your incorrect Biometric Residence Permit. The Administrative Review process will cost £80 and your International Student Adviser will assist you to complete an online application form.

Administrative Review

The Administrative Review process will take approximately 28 days to complete and if the review is successful, UKVI will also refund the £80 automatically back to you.

If you submit your request to get your BRP amended after 14 calendar days, the UKVI may refused to correct the error or you may not be refunded the £80 Administrative Review fee.

(Page updated March 2016)