No flash message
Some of the content and features delivered by this site requires JavaScript to be enabled in your browser
Wednesday 19 December
Hr > Eu referendum > Human Resources Online : EU Referendum - FAQs

EU Referendum - FAQs

As we prepare to leave the EU, Anglia Ruskin University will continue to support its European community and help Staff and Students navigate their way through the implications of the Brexit negotiations.

This document answers key frequently asked questions, provides further information, useful links and guidance for EU citizens planning to or currently living and working in the UK.

How does leaving the EU affect me?

The UK government has reached an agreement with the European Union on citizens’ rights ahead of the UK leaving the EU on 29 March 2019. This agreement will protect your rights after the UK leaves the EU and also covers your family members.

What will happen to EU citizens arriving in the UK during the implementation period?

After the UK leaves the EU in March 2019, there will be a two year implementation period. During this time EU citizens will be able to live, work and study in the UK on the same terms as they do now, those who wish to stay for longer than three months will need to apply for registration.

What happens to EU citizens currently living and working in the UK?

In June 2018, the Government published details of the EU Settlement Scheme. The scheme states that EU nationals who have been living lawfully in the UK for more than five years will be able to apply for 'settled status’. This enables EU citizens and close family members (a spouse, civil partner, unmarried partner, dependent child or grandchild, and dependent parent or grandparent) to apply to continue living and working in the UK indefinitely.

The Statement of Intent provides full details of the Scheme including how the online application system will work, the forms of evidence required and how status will be evidenced. The cost of applications will be £65 per adult and £32.50 per child, EU nationals who already have residency or indefinite leave to remain will not incur a cost.

The scheme will open to applications by March 2019 and the deadline for applying will be 30 June 2021. The directive is to permit applications for settled status, they will only be rejected on serious grounds. The Settlement Scheme is still subject to approval by Parliament.

EU citizens living in the UK for less than five years will be granted pre-settled status and will be able to apply for settled status once they have reached the five year period.

How can I find more information about applying for Permanent Residency and British Citizenship?

If you wish to apply for the permanent right to stay in the UK, or residency, you must make a personal application. Further information can be found on the following links:

If you’d like independent advice on your immigration status, GOV.UK has information on how to find an immigration adviser in your local vicinity and these are regulated by the Office of the Immigration Services Commissioner (OISC).

Further Support

We appreciate that these are uncertain times for our non-UK EU colleagues. We’ve a 24-hour Employee Support Helpline offering free, practical, confidential advice in a variety of areas. This service is also available to family members living with our employees.

We are also offering an interest-free, tax exempt loan to cover the cost of applying for residency or citizenship for our non-UK EU employees and/or family members.

Further information

Last Updated 14/07/2018