No flash message
Some of the content and features delivered by this site requires JavaScript to be enabled in your browser
Sunday 21 July
Hr > Brexit > Human Resources Online : Brexit - FAQs

Brexit - FAQs

**LATEST NEWS: EU leaders have agreed on a plan to delay the Article 50 process, postponing Brexit beyond 29 March. The UK will be offered a delay until 22 May, if MPs approve the withdrawal deal negotiated with the EU by 11pm on 29 March. If they do not, the UK will be due to leave the EU on 12 April, whether a deal has been agreed or not (no deal). **

As we prepare to leave the EU, Anglia Ruskin University will continue to support its European community and help Staff and Students navigate their way through the implications of the Brexit negotiations.

This document answers key frequently asked questions, provides further information, useful links and guidance for EU citizens planning to or currently living and working in the UK.

How does leaving the EU affect me?

The UK government has reached an agreement with the European Union on citizens’ rights ahead of the UK leaving the EU. This agreement will protect your rights after the UK leaves the EU and also covers your family members.

There will be no change to the immigration status of EU staff who are already here or who arrive before the end of the government’s Brexit implementation period.

What will happen to EU citizens arriving in the UK during the implementation period?

After the UK leaves the EU, there will be a two year implementation period. During this time EU citizens will be able to live, work and study in the UK on the same terms as they do now, those who wish to stay for longer than three months will need to apply for registration.

EU nationals who arrive in the UK by 31 December 2020 will be able to apply for settled status. This will enable EU citizens to live, work and study in the UK for as long as they like, with the ability to leave the UK for up to five years without endangering their settled status.

If the UK leaves the EU without a deal, EU nationals will need to live in the UK by 12 April 2019 to apply. The deadline for applying will be 31 December 2020.

What happens to EU citizens currently living and working in the UK?

In June 2018, the Government published details of the EU Settlement Scheme. The scheme states that EU nationals who have been living lawfully in the UK for more than five years, and can evidence that, will be granted settled status. This enables EU citizens and close family members (a spouse, civil partner, unmarried partner, dependent child or grandchild, and dependent parent or grandparent) to apply to continue living and working in the UK indefinitely.

The Statement of Intent provides full details of the Scheme including how the online application system will work, the forms of evidence required and how status will be evidenced. The scheme will open fully by 30 March 2019 and the deadline for applying will be 30 June 2021. EU citizens living in the UK for less than five years will be granted pre-settled status and will be able to apply for settled status once they have reached the five year period.

The EU Settlement Scheme has been successfully tested through a series of pilots and the next testing phase has now opened more widely. EU citizens living in the UK, as well as their non-EU citizen family members who hold a valid biometric residence card, are now able to apply for the immigration status they will need once the UK has left the EU.

On 21 January the Prime Minister announced that there will be no fee when the scheme opens fully on 30 March 2019. Anyone who has applied already, or who applies and pays a fee during the test phases, will have their fee refunded after 30 March. Payments will be refunded automatically to the card used to pay the application fee and the refund can take 10 working days. It may take longer for some card types and issuers.

The Home Office will confirm when the refund has been processed by sending an email to the email address used to make the application to the EU Settlement Scheme.

What if I have permanent residence or indefinite leave to remain in the UK?

The process of applying to the EU Settlement Scheme is different if you have a permanent residence document or indefinite leave to remain.

If you have a valid UK permanent residence document, you can change your permanent residence document to settled status by applying to the EU Settlement Scheme. You will not have to prove you have 5 years’ continuous residence.

You can continue to live in the UK without applying to the EU Settlement Scheme if you have indefinite leave to remain or enter. However, you can choose to change it for settled status. You will not have to prove you have 5 years’ continuous residence.

How can I find more information about applying for Permanent Residency and British Citizenship?

If you wish to apply for the permanent right to stay in the UK, or residency, you must make a personal application. Further information can be found on the following links:

If you’d like independent advice on your immigration status, GOV.UK has information on how to find an immigration adviser in your local vicinity and these are regulated by the Office of the Immigration Services Commissioner (OISC).

Further Support

We appreciate that these are uncertain times for our non-UK EU colleagues. We’ve a 24-hour Employee Support Helpline offering free, practical, confidential advice in a variety of areas. This service is also available to family members living with our employees.

Contact Health Assured on:
Helpline: 0800 030 5182 or from outside the UK: +44 161 836 9498

To support staff, we are offering an interest-free, tax exempt loan to cover the cost of applying for residency or citizenship for our non-UK EU employees and/or family members. Please contact HR Services for further information.

We have also been reimbursing the costs of EU settled status applications during the pilot and will continue to do so during the public test phase, however following the latest government announcement about refunding the application fee we will need to review this arrangement/provision. Further advice will be publicised shortly.

Further information

Last Updated 28/03/2019