No flash message
Some of the content and features delivered by this site requires JavaScript to be enabled in your browser
Sunday 22 April

Study Support Service

Email: | Call: 01245 68 6700

New students

Anglia Ruskin University provides a vibrant and diverse and inclusive learning environment. Whatever your learning support need or disability, were here to help you identify your strengths and learn how to make them work for you.

The Equality Act defines a disabled person as someone who has a physical or mental impairment that has a substantial and long-term adverse effect on his or her ability to carry out normal day-to-day activities. This may include:

  • a specific learning difficulty such as dyslexia, dyspraxia or dyscalculia
  • a visual impairment
  • a hearing impairment
  • limited mobility
  • a mental health condition (including depression and anxiety)
  • other medical and unseen conditions (such as diabetes or epilepsy).

Why should I tell the University I have a disability?

We want to make sure that all our students get the most from university life. If we know of your disability as early as possible, we can work with you to anticipate any support that you might need.

You could be eligible for the Disabled Students Allowance (DSA).

Youre not obliged to tell us about your disability, however if you choose not to, you may not be able to access the full range of support available. Any information you give us about your disability is treated confidentially.

When and how can I tell the University I have a disability?

We recommend that you inform us of any disabilities you may have and your support needs on your UCAS form. In addition to this well send you a self-assessment form (SAF) which you are asked to complete and return to the Study Support Service.

If you are studying or applying to study at one of our partner colleges and not at one of our main campuses, please contact your college directly to discuss your support needs with their Disability Adviser.

What support is available?

Whether you have a physical disability or health condition, a learning difficulty or mental health issues even if you dont consider yourself to be disabled youll find we offer plenty of professional support and advice, including:

  • advice before you arrive
  • regular contact with the Study Support Service
  • summaries of Reasonable Adjustments
  • liaison with departments and tutors
  • help with applying for the Disabled Students' Allowances (DSA)
  • specialist support from qualified Mental Health Advisers
  • effective learning workshops
  • support with examinations, including extra time if needed
  • useful videos and resources for students with specific learning difficulties.

The University does not provide support or funding for personal care or medical treatment. Please see our Guidance on Personal Care Support at University for more information about potential financial assistance and help with finding an external agency to deliver this support.