No flash message
Some of the content and features delivered by this site requires JavaScript to be enabled in your browser
Sunday 22 April

Study Support Service

Email: | Call: 01245 68 6700

What are Disabled Students Allowances (DSA)?

Anglia Ruskin banner

The Disabled Students' Allowances (DSA) are grants that help to pay for extra equipment and support that you may need as a direct result of your disability, on-going health condition, sensory impairment, mental-health condition or specific learning difficulty.

DSA can help with the cost of having support from a specialist mentor or dyslexia tutor, specialist equipment and assistive software and the cost of extra travel.

Who can apply?

To find out whether you are eligible, more information on what you may get and how to apply, you can visit Disabled Students' Allowances on GOV.UK

If you are receiving an NHS Bursary (eg. if you are a trainee nurse, midwife or ODP) you can apply via your BOSS page. You can find more information at the link above.

What evidence do I need?

Disabled Students Allowance is not means tested but you will need to send supporting evidence of your condition when applying. This should be from a GP or consultant, preferably on our medical evidence form. For dyslexic students, this will be a recent report from an Educational Psychologist or other qualified person carried out after the age of 16.

Need help with your application?

If you require any help with your application or unsure whether your evidence is appropriate, please come to a Study Support drop-in for assistance.

How do I arrange my DSA Needs Assessment?

If you are approved for DSA you will need to attend a Needs Assessment. This is not a diagnostic or medical assessment but rather the chance to discuss with an assessor the difficulties you are experiencing or will encounter on your course because of your disability and the possible recommendations to help you overcome these difficulties. You can have this done at any approved centre but you can arrange an appointment on your Anglia Ruskin campus by contacting the Anglia Access Centre.