No flash message
Some of the content and features delivered by this site requires JavaScript to be enabled in your browser
Tuesday 19 November
My.Anglia > Student services > Sexual violence > Report an incident

I want to report something

It's important to tell someone that you trust. Feeling safe and supported in your decision to speak out is key.

How will Anglia Ruskin support me if I report an issue?

These services are available to help:

University Staff who are trained Sexual Violence Liaison Officers (SVLO)

Here at Anglia Ruskin we have eight SVLOs. These are members of staff who, in addition to their role at the University, can provide you with specialist support if you have been sexually assaulted. However recent your experiences, this team can give you the support and information to help you decide about your next steps. They can refer you to specialist support or outline what will happen if you wish to progress a serious incident by making a student complaint. Email

Local Sexual Assault Referral Centre (SARC)

There are SARCs in both the Cambridgeshire and Essex areas. They have dedicated and trained staff who are there to support anybody that has experienced sexual violence. They can talk you through your options and refer you to other appropriate services.

Independent Sexual Violence Advocate (ISVA)

'A Rape Crisis advocacy worker's or ISVA's main role is to provide practical and emotional support and information to survivors who have reported to the police or are considering reporting to the police.

If you do choose to report, your Rape Crisis ISVA will work with other partners and agencies to try and keep you informed throughout the criminal justice process, supporting you to have your voice heard, helping you feel empowered to make the choices that feel right to you, and accompanying you to important appointments and court if that's what you want. An ISVA can support you with your next steps after the legal process is over, regardless of the outcome of your case, and will be there for you even if you choose to withdraw from the criminal justice process at any point.'

An ISVA can help in accessing statutory services like housing, education or health. They will provide support in a non-judgemental way and also help to ensure that other organisations also provide you with the right kind of support.


How the police deal with rape, sexual assault or reports of sexual violence

After you have reported a sexually related offence to the police, they will take the appropriate actions, depending on the type of offense and of course, considering how you wish to take the report forward.

Please see the links below for further details on Cambridgeshire and Essex Police departments.

University Staff in Counselling and Wellbeing

The Counselling and Wellbeing Service is available to all core students at Anglia Ruskin University and offers a free and confidential service to promote mental health and wellbeing.

You can talk in confidence to a professional Counsellor or Mental Health Adviser about any personal or university-related issues that are worrying you.

The Counselling and Wellbeing service can offer you:

  • One to one support
  • Group support and workshops
  • Online support with SilverCloud
  • Out of hours support
  • Self-help guides

Register with the service

The Counselling and Wellbeing team run drop-ins from Monday-Friday between 11-12pm in Helmore 341 (Cambridge) and Tindal 2nd floor (Chelmsford). Cambridge offers an additional 2-3pm drop-in during teaching weeks.

If you would like to contact the Counselling and Wellbeing team email or call 01245 68 6700

A person of trust: friends, family, or personal tutor.

You may choose to confide in someone you know for their thoughts or help. It is not always easy to decide what to do but often sharing your experience with someone you know and trust can help ease the load and help you make a decision.

Charities and Helplines

There are a number of local and national charities and helplines that are here to support people that are in a similar position. Please see our National and Regional Support section to find the service best suited to your issue.