No flash message
Some of the content and features delivered by this site requires JavaScript to be enabled in your browser
Saturday 23 March

Student Money Advice Service

Email: | Call: 01245 68 6700

Student Funds

Care Leavers' Bursary 2018/19

Anglia Ruskin University offers students who are being supported by their Local Authority as a Care Leaver and those that have spent time in a Foyer between the age of 16 and attending university, support towards the upfront cost of moving into accommodation ,whether as a new student starting in September 2018 or as a continuing student needing support for the same purposes. Further support can be granted with the help of summer vacation costs in the following summer (i.e. Summer 2019). The maximum award is £500 (pro-rata for part time students).

Basic eligibility:

Students who satisfy all of the following are eligible to apply:

  • Be a Home / EU HEFCE countable students (paying fees of at least £9000 for a Bachelor’s degree, £7500 for a HND/Foundation degree or part time equivalent)
  • Be a Core Anglia Ruskin University student (not those who are studying at one of our partner institutions)
  • Be on an undergraduate course (full/part time) leading to a recognised qualification
  • Must either be registered or have an offer to study at Anglia Ruskin University and have every intention of attending in September
  • Must be being supported by their Local Authority as a Care Leaver and or have spent time in a Foyer between the age of 16 and attending university and supply evidence from their Local Authority or Foyer
  • Not be receiving support for the costs from any other source (student funding does not count)

The following categories of students are not eligible to apply for the Care Leavers' Bursary

  • Students who are studying at our partner institutions
  • Students whose course is sponsored by an employer
  • Students studying on NHS bursary supported courses (i.e. BSc Nursing, Midwifery or DipHE ODP) who started before September 2017
  • International students
  • Postgraduate students
  • Distance learners

Please note that additional criteria may apply but we will discuss with you any issues via the email address provided in the application form.

Care Leavers' Bursary form

Hardship Fund

The Hardship Fund is designed to help students who have made adequate provision to cover the majority of their living and study costs but through no fault of their own are experiencing hardship. Any award will usually be in the form of a non-repayable grant and students will be assessed using national guidance via an income vs expenditure model.

Please read the Frequently Asked Questions before applying to check eligibility. If you have any questions please contact the Student Money Advice Service to discuss your situation and eligibility for the fund.

Please download the following form, complete it and email it to

Emergency Loans

It's important that as a student you learn how to manage your money effectively. Our Student Money Advice Service can help you with various techniques about budgeting and money management. However, if you're experiencing a financial crisis you may be eligible to apply for a short term, low value loan.

If you are experiencing a delay in funding for living costs, you can apply for a loan whilst you wait for your funding. Students must have been assessed and passed the residency stage with Student Finance (or relevant body). The Student Money Advice Service must be assured that you will be receiving funding before we can lend.

Please note that this loan may be awarded in the form of a direct payment for goods or services (not always as a BACS payment direct to the student).

How do I apply?

All students must discuss their situation with a student money adviser before being considered for an Emergency Loan. If it is felt that the best option for you is an Emergency Loan you will be sent a “Loan Request Form” which you will need to complete and email back to

This will be assessed by a team member and a manager (usually) within 48 hours of receiving the loan request form. We reserve the right to take up to 5 working days to process a loan request.

If approved, payment will usually be in the form of a payment direct to your bank account and can take up to 10 working days to be paid (although usually sooner). In some exceptional circumstances a cash loan may be able to be paid.

Therefore we expect students to contact us at the earliest possible opportunity to discuss the need for a loan.

Please call 01245 686700 to speak to a Student Money Adviser or email (if not urgent)