No flash message
Some of the content and features delivered by this site requires JavaScript to be enabled in your browser
Monday 25 January
My.Anglia > Student services > Employability > Your career options > Social Work and Social Policy

Employability Service

Your Career Options

Social Work and Social Policy

Further details on typical roles, employers and sector trends can be found on our Employability Portal and within the Job Sectors section of the Prospects website and TargetJobs.

Social Work

Most social workers are employed by local authority children's or adult services. Increasingly, however, opportunities are available with voluntary organisations or charities.

Previous work experience in an area relating to social work is extremely important for entry into the profession and for entry onto the MA in Social Work you will need a total of 6 months. This may be through paid positions or voluntary work and can include roles in community care centres, working with children or with vulnerable adults. Any roles that show you can demonstrate empathy along with a genuine desire to improve the quality of the lives of others are helpful.


Social Policy

Social policy and public administration graduates are employed in management positions in the public sector or for private organisations working with government. Some go on to graduate management training schemes in health, housing, police, think tanks or specialist agencies. Opportunities also occur in social work or other personal social services work, as well as in social and political research.

Further Study


Drop in and see us

Cambridge: Every weekday 12.00 noon 2.00pm, HEL073

Chelmsford: Monday - Thursday 12.00 noon 2.00pm, Tindal 2nd Floor

Contact us


Phone: 01245 686700