Go to right hand side links
go to local menu
Go to main menu
Service description and features
Our Remote desktop has been designed to enable you to work from anywhere and at any time. Using VMware Horizon virtuialisation services, our sector-leading Remote desktop application allows you to access your university documents, folders (H;drive, J;drive) and software applications (Microsoft Office 2013, SITS etc.) on your personal PC, Laptop, tablet or even mobile device.
You can access it on campus over eduroam Wi-Fi or off campus over a Wi-Fi or wired internet connection.
Using this software
This service is available to you on all of our campuses (Cambridge, Chelmsford and Peterborough) and at home.
Access to our remote desktop is available to students for the duration of thier studies and to staff for the duration of their employment.
To use the Remote Desktop, you will need to download an application client to your personal device. The process for downloading the application client is the same for both Student and Staff users. This client can be installed on to any of your personal devices and there is no device limit.
Remote Desktop for PC - Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8 and 8.1 (32 or 64-bit)
- Navigate to desktop.anglia.ac.uk in a web browser and click on the Install VMware Horizon Client button
- Click on the Go to Downloads link to the right of VMware Horizon Client for Windows 32-bit/64-bit. You do not require the installer which includes "local mode"
- Run the downloaded installer, when prompted for a "Default Connection Server", enter desktop.anglia.ac.uk
- Once the installer has completed you must restart your computer
- When your computer has been restarted, run the VMware Horizon Client by clicking on the desktop icon
- Make sure desktop.anglia.ac.uk is entered into the Connection Server box, if displayed the "Log in as current user" box should be unchecked, click Connect
- Click Accept to the welcome message, in the User name box enter your Anglia Short Username (e.g. xyz123)
- Enter your Anglia Password and click Login
- Select your desktop and click Connect
Remote Desktop for Mac - Mac OS X 10.5 or newer
- Navigate to desktop.anglia.ac.uk in a web browser and follow the link to download the latest version of the VMware Horizon Client for Mac
- Download and install the VMware Horizon Client
- Once the VMware Horizon Client is installed, launch VMware Horizon. This will be located in Applications
- In the connection server box enter desktop.anglia.ac.uk and click Connect
- Click Continue to the welcome message and enter your Anglia Short Username (e.g. xyz123) and password, click Connect
- Select your desktop and click Connect
Remote Desktop for Tablet
To get the Remote desktop on your tablet or phone, follow the device instructions below.
1. Download and install the VMware Horizon Client for iPad from the App Store.
2. Once downloaded, open the application
3. When in Server Setup, enter desktop.anglia.ac.uk in the Server Address box
4. Click Add Server
5. When prompted, log in using your Short Anglia Ruskin Username (abc123) and Password
6. Select your desktop and click Connect
Installation requires Android 2.2. or newer
- Download and install the VMware Horizon Client for Android from the Google Play store.
- After installing, open the application
- Tap Add Server
- Enter desktop.anglia.ac.uk
- Accept the welcome message
- Enter your Anglia Short Username (e.g. xyz123) and password and tap login
- Select your desktop to connect
Remote Desktop via Web browser
Users can access the Remote desktop through their web browser as an alternative to downloading the client.
To use the Remote Desktop via a web browser:
- Go to https://desktop.anglia.ac.uk/
- Click on VMware Horizon View HTML Access
- Read and accept the disclaimer
- Log in using your Short Anglia Ruskin Username (abc123) and Password
Student IT support is delivered by the University Library Helpdesk.
Staff IT support is available from IT Services Customer Support Team.
Frequently Ask Questions
Please click on the sections below to expand the answers.
What applications can I use on Remote Desktop?
Users of the remote desktop will have access to most applications that are available when using a regular PC or Thin Client machine on campus with the exception of:
- Adobe Creative Cloud (Available from September 2015 when using remote desktop on campus)
- Visual Studio
How long do I have access to the Remote Desktop?
Students have access to the remote desktop for the duration of their studies and access will cease once you have completed your studies.
Staff have access to the remote desktop for the duration of their employment.
Does it cost anything to download the Remote Desktop Client application to my device?
No. This service is completely free.