No flash message
Some of the content and features delivered by this site requires JavaScript to be enabled in your browser
Wednesday 26 April
Internatsupport > Health Entitlements

International Student Advice Service

Health Entitlements

If your course lasts for more than 6 months: then you are entitled to use the National Health Service (NHS) in the UK. You will receive free emergency treatment, hospital care and you will be able to register with a doctor in the UK. There is currently a charge of £8.05 for each medicine that is prescribed by a doctor.

Please note that from 6th April 2015, students coming the UK for 6 months or longer will need to pay an immigration health surcharge when applying for their visa. This surcharge is set at £150 per year and is designed to cover the cost of NHS provision. For full details please click here.

You are highly recommended to register with the Medical Centre on campus or at a local doctor’s surgery close to where you live as soon as possible after you arrive.

Cambridge Campus: MUM 101 open 0900-1300, 1400-1700 (1600 on Fridays)
Chelmsford Campus: Rivermead Gate Medical Centre, 1st floor Rivermead Gate (next to the SPAR shop on the Student Village) Tel 01245 348688.


If your course lasts for less than 6 months: and you are not from an EU country or one with a reciprocal health care arrangement, then you will not get free health care. You are highly recommended to take out private medical insurance.


Medical Insurance:
Private medical insurance in the UK is highly recommended. Although you will be covered for all emergency treatment in the UK the National Health Service may not pay for all treatment.  Endsleigh Insurance is one company that offers medical insurance to students. See for further information.

It is also highly recommended that you read the following UKCISA guidance for further information about your health entitlements in the UK:

Please see also UKCISA's useful guidance on 'Culture Shock', which can affect international students acclimatising to new surroundings in a new country:

(Page updated March 2016)