No flash message
Some of the content and features delivered by this site requires JavaScript to be enabled in your browser
Saturday 10 October
Internatsupport > International Student Support

International Student Advice Service

Documents to submit with your Tier 4 (General) Application

Please note that all documents need to be ORIGINALS – photocopies will not be accepted.

  • 1. A Tier 4 (General) application form completed online via the Home Office's online application facility. You will need to register to create an account before starting to fill in the Tier 4 application form. Complete as much of the form as you are able, but do not complete the 'General Attributes' section, or the declarations or online payment stages, as this will lock down the information. Please visit an International Student Adviser to have your online form checked before completing the declarations and online payment. Once the online form is complete and payment made, your International Student Adviser can help you print, sign and send it to the Home Office with the necessary supporting documents.

  • 2. A valid passport and valid visa / Biometric ID card (You will only have a Biometric ID card if you have extended your student visa from within the UK since November 2008). You will also need previous passports if they contain one or more UK visas.

  • 3. The appropriate application fee, payable online by credit or debit card as part of the online application process described above at point 1. From 6th April 2014, the fee for applying for extension of leave to remain as a student under Tier 4 by post will be £422. The fee for each dependent applying within the UK by post at the same time as the main applicant will also be £422.
  • 4. A CAS (Confirmation of Acceptance of Studies) which is a unique reference number that our University will give you. To obtain your CAS number, you will need to complete a CAS Request Form available from your International Student Adviser. To contact your International Student Adviser, see the Contact Us page.

  • 5. Documents needed to prove you meet the Financial requirements for tuition fees and living costs. You must submit original documents which must not be dated more than one month before the date of your application. You must be able to show that you have held enough money in your bank account for 28 consecutive days using:
      • personal bank or building society statements
      • building society pass book
      • letter from your bank confirming your funds
      • letter from a regulated financial institution confirming your money or loan.

    Note: The UKBA do not accept documents from certain financial institutions and have published lists of acceptable and unacceptable institutions in certain countries. You can check the lists here.

    From the 21st August 2009, if you do not have the necessary funds in your own bank account then you can use a bank account that belongs to your parents or legal guardian to show that you have enough money to cover your tuition fees and maintenance requirements. You will need to include the following documents:

      • One of the following::
        • Your original birth certificate (or notarised copy) showing the name of the parent(s) providing the funds
        • Certificate of adoption showing your name and the parent(s) providing the funds
        • Court document stating your name and the name of your legal guardian(s) providing the funds
      • You must also provide an original signed and dated letter from the parent(s) or legal guardian(s) who are providing the funds. This letter must confirm the relationship between the parent(s)/legal guardian(s) and the named student and also confirm that the parent(s) or legal guardian(s) have given their consent to the funds being available to you while you are studying in the UK.

  • 6. If you are being sponsored by an Official Financial Sponsor or a Government sponsor, then you need to provide the following:
    • A letter of confirmation from your Official Financial Sponsor on official letter-headed paper or stationery of the organisation of the official financial sponsor; and have the official stamp of that organisation on it. The letter should show:
    • the student’s name;
    • the name and contact details of the official financial sponsor;
    • the date of the letter;
    • the length of the sponsorship;
    • and the amount of money the sponsor is giving to the student or a statement that the student’s official financial sponsor will cover all of his/her fees and living costs. 

  • 7. If your funds are not in pounds sterling, the closing balance should be converted using the conversion rate at and the sterling sum should be written on the document you are using as proof of your finances.
  • 8. Two identical colour passport size photographs of the applicant taken within the last month. Please see the UKBA photo guidance as it is very important that your passport photos meet all of these requirements. If they do not, then your visa application could be rejected by the UK Border Agency. Please write your full name on the back of each photograph.
  • 9. Police Registration Certificate (if applicable). If you are required to register with the police this will be stated on your entry clearance or biometric identity card. Ensure the certificate has your latest address.
  • 11. Original qualification documents (whichever documents are listed on your CAS letter).


(Page updated April 2014)