From February 2011, records retention/data protection audits commenced across the university. The audits undertaken in faculties focused on student records and in particular, the retention periods of student records. All audits have focused on the handling of personal data and sensitive personal data and retention of data. Our audit checklist can be found below.
1. Please provide a table of records held in your area.
2. Collection point of records - where is the data you hold collected from? (i.e. application forms/web enquiries etc)
3. In what format are your records held? (paper or electronic etc)
4. Do you understand the terms personal data and sensitive personal data? What data is held in your records?
5. What are the purposes for holding/processing the data held?
6. Are staff aware of ARU's Records Retention Schedule?
7. Are staff aware of how long the records they hold should be retained in accordance with the Retention Schedule?
8. Do staff routinely destroy/delete records that reach the end of their lifecycle?
9. Storage/location/security arrangements (do staff know where records are and how secure are they?)
10. How is personal data/sensitive personal data accessed?
11. Do you have enough storage space to keep your physical records in a systematic and organised order?
The Secretary & Clerk's Office - February 2011
Employment Bureau - Cambridge and Chelmsford - February 2011
Alumni and Development - August 2011
Research and Innovation Development Office - August 2011
Anglia Assessment Centre, Cambridge - March 2012
Faculty of Science and Technology and the Faculty of Arts Law and Social Sciences - May 2012.
Faculty of Health, Social Care and Education - August 2012
Lord Ashcroft International Business School - September 2013.
Risk Management - October 2013
Accommodation - Chelmsford Campus - October 2013
Accommodation - Cambridge Campus - January 2014
Security - Cambridge and Chelmsford - March 2014
Admissions - Chelmsford - May 2014
Procurement - June 2014
Assessments/Conferments - September 2014
Admissions - Cambridge - September 2014
Catering - Chelmsford and Cambridge - October 2014
Human Resources - October 2014
Estates and Facilities - Helpdesk, Environmental Records, Projects, Construction, Timetabling and Finance and Budgets - November/December 2014
Financial Services - Registration Services, Financial Operations, Financial Accounts - June 2015
Academic Office - May-June 2015
University Library - June 2015
Student Services - Nursery, Study Skills Plus, Anglia Access Centre, Student Money Advice, iCentre, Study Support, Sport & Active Anglia, Faculty Student Advice Service, Student Money Advice
Customer and Student Experience Team and Employability - October 2015
Digital Copy Services - January 2016
Faculty of Medical Science - February 2016
Learning Development Services - February 2016
CMIDS - April/May 2016
RIDO - May/June 2016
If you have any questions regarding records retention audits or the retention of records generally, please contact Jackie Barlow - the University Records Manager.